GUEST EDITORIAL Introduction to the Special Issue Using Transparency to Achieve Equality
This Guest Editorial introduces a Special Issue of Law in Context which considers how the collection of large-scale data by government entities and organisations might advance the equality agenda across diverse areas of public life, and how best to manage the risks of this emerging strategy. Drawing on interdisciplinary perspectives and the insights of policymakers, the articles and comments listed below seek to develop new principles to guide government and organisational activity in this novel endeavour.
2. Bertot, J. C., 2019. "Social Media, Open Plat-forms, and Democracy: Transparency Enabler, Slayer of Democracy, Both?" Proceedings of the 52nd Hawaii International Conference on Sys-tem Sciences,
3. Bertot, J. C. and Choi, H. 2013. "Big Data and E-Government: Issues, Policies and Recommenda-tions." The Proceedings of the 14th Annual In-ternational Conference on Digital Government Research, https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/2479724.2479730 .
4. Bertot, J. C., Jaeger, P. T. and Grimes, J. M. 2010. “Using ICTs to Create a Culture of Transparen-cy: E-Government and Social Media as Open-ness and Anti-Corruption Tools for Societies.” Government Information Quarterly, 27: 264-271,
5. Brandeis, L. D. 1995. Other People’s Money and How the Bankers Use It. St Martin’s Press, New York.
6. Craig, P. 2005. “Formal and Substantive Con-ceptions of the Rule of Law: An Analytical Framework.” In Bellamy, R. (ed.) The Rule of Law and the Separation of Powers. Routledge, London, pp. 95-116.
7. Dubbink, W., Graafland, J and van Liedekerke, L. 2008. “CSR, Transparency and the Role of In-termediate Organisations.” Journal of Business Ethics, 82(2): 391-406.
8. Neilsen, M. A. 2010. “Public Sector Accountabil-ity and Transparency.” Parliament of Australia, 12 October.
9. Raz, J. 1994 Ethics in the Public Domain: Essays in the Morality of Law and Politics. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
10. Thornton, M. 1989 “Equivocations of Conciliation: The Resolution of Discrimination Complaints in Australia.” Modern Law Review, 52: 733-761.
11. UK Parliament 2019 Women and Equalities Committee. https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/328/women-and-equalities-committee/news/?page=4.
12. Wathen, D. E. 2005. “When the Court Speaks: Effective Communication as Part of Judging.” Maine Law Review, 57(2): 449-462.
13. “Corporate Transparency: Why Honesty is the Best Policy.” 2014. The Guardian (Aust), 4 Au-gust. https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/corporate-transparency-honesty-best-policy .